An Insider’s Tour of the Dominican Baseball Machine
Dates TBD - Approximately November 6-16, 2023
A baseball pilgrimage to the Dominican Republic is like a soccer fan’s trip to Brazil or a pizza lover’s trip to Italy. Join us for a tour of this beautiful, baseball-crazed Caribbean island and see béisbol in its most vibrant form.
You’ll receive an insider’s experience of the island and its baseball culture, including visits to rocky sandlots with cows grazing the outfield, pristine development academies of MLB teams, and raucous professional winter league (LIDOM) games. All the while, we’ll enjoy visits with Dominican baseball players and executives, and immerse ourselves in the D.R.’s unique, Latino-Caribbean culture.
Northern Add On Tour
For the first time in 2023, we will include the option to see games at all five LIDOM stadiums! Befor the Main Tour, we will travel to Cibao, the northern part of the country.
We will keep our base in Santiago de los Caballeros, the second-biggest city in the country that has its own unique culture, and attend home games of the Aguilas Cibaeñas at Estadio Cibao and the Gigantes del Cibao at Estadio Julián Javier.
The Dominican Republic’s climate is very hot and humid, even in the winter months. We will spend a lot of time outside and have a full schedule of activities. We do not recommend this trip if you have health issues that may be strained by being active in a tropical climate.
We at JapanBall feel that it’s important to intentionally support the Dominican economy with tour funds. At least 40% of Dominicans live in poverty and, even with a wealthy upper class buoying the statistics, the average monthly salary is under $400.
Rather than just skim the culture as fortunate tourists, our tours will benefit the local communities we visit. Approximately 70% of our tour price is earmarked as “local spend” that will stay in the Dominican Republic.
Carbon Offset Program
Tourism is responsible for approximately 8% of the world’s carbon emissions. To reap the myriad rewards of travel without contributing to the problem, we started JapanBall’s Carbon Offset Program.
The Dominican Republic is a beautiful island that already sees its share of environmental challenges and is particularly vulnerable to extreme weather. JapanBall wants to contribute to the solution rather than the problem.
To mitigate our tour’s environmental impact, a portion of the profits will go towards purchasing a carbon offset on behalf of each guest from Sustainable Travel International.
*Sample Itinerary (Includes Northern Pre Tour)
- Monday, November 6: Northern Pre Tour guests arrive to Cibao International Airport in Santiago + Águilas Cibaeñas home game in Santiago.
- Nov. 7: Visit Bartolo Colon’s stadium + Santiago sightseeing + Gigantes del Cibao home game in San Francisco de Macoris.
- Nov. 8: Northern Pre Tour guests drive to Santo Domingo and check into hotel; Main Tour guests arrive to Santo Domingo (arrive to Las Américas International Airport by 2:30 PM; otherwise, I recommend arriving a day early to not miss the evening’s welcome meeting and dinner.
- Nov. 9: Baseball tourism + Tigres del Licey home game in Santo Domingo
- Nov. 10: San Cristobal day trip + MLB academy visit + boardwalk dinner
- Nov. 11: Visit youth program for equipment donation + Leones del Escogido home game in Santo Domingo
- Nov 12: Day 6: Colonial Zone tour + check into Juan Dolio seaside resort hotel + Estrellas Orientales home game in San Pedro de Macoris
- Nov. 13: Hotel beach day + cigar and rum factory tours
- Nov. 14: Independent trainer academy visit + Toros del Este home game in La Romana
- Nov. 15: MLB team academy and MLB bank visits + goodbye dinner
- Thursday, November 16: Departure from Santo Domingo (Las Américas International Airport)
*This itinerary, including games and daily activities, will change upon release of the 2023 LIDOM schedule in July.
- A guide to lead you through a detailed itinerary, giving a unique personal tour of the country.
- Business-class hotels in Santiago and Santo Domingo and boutique, seaside accomodations in Juan Dolio.
- All in-country travel via private bus, including airport transfers.
- Breakfast and at least one additional meal per day at carefully-selected, delicious, authentic restaurants.
- Best available seats for 4-6 professional games.
- Tours of MLB team academies.
- Visits to amateur training programs that produce some of baseball’s best prospects.
- Visits with local baseball personalities.
- Additional cultural and baseball sightseeing.
- Scheduling flexibility. Want to come early or stay late? We can help you plan that.
- Translation and travel desk services.
- Carbon offset: In order to mitigate the tour’s environmental impact, we will use our profits to purchase a carbon offset from Sustainable Travel International on behalf of each guest.
Not included: Airfare and meals eaten at the ballpark.
TBD Main Tour (Santo Domingo and Juan Dolio) – Double Occupancy
TBD Single Supplement
TBD Northern Pre Tour (Santiago) -Double Occupancy
TBD Northern Pre Tour Single Supplement