An Insider’s Tour of the Dominican Baseball Machine
Dates TBD - November 2023
A baseball pilgrimage to the Dominican Republic is like a soccer fan’s trip to Brazil or a pizza lover’s trip to Italy. Join us for a tour of this beautiful, baseball-crazed Caribbean island and see béisbol in its most vibrant form.
You’ll receive an insider’s experience of the island and its baseball culture, including visits to rocky sandlots with cows grazing the outfield, pristine development academies of MLB teams, and raucous professional winter league (LIDOM) games. All the while, we’ll enjoy visits with Dominican baseball players and executives, and immerse ourselves in the D.R.’s unique, Latino-Caribbean culture.
The Dominican Republic’s climate is very hot and humid, even in the winter months. We will spend a lot of time outside and have a full schedule of activities. We do not recommend this trip if you have health issues that may be strained by being active in a tropical climate.
We at JapanBall feel that it’s important to intentionally support the Dominican economy with tour funds. At least 40% of Dominicans live in poverty and, even with a wealthy upper class buoying the statistics, the average monthly salary is under $400.
Rather than just skim the culture as fortunate tourists, our tours will benefit the local communities we visit. Approximately 70% of our tour price is earmarked as “local spend” that will stay in the Dominican Republic.
Carbon Offset Program
Tourism is responsible for approximately 8% of the world’s carbon emissions. To reap the myriad rewards of travel without contributing to the problem, we started JapanBall’s Carbon Offset Program.
The Dominican Republic is a beautiful island that already sees its share of environmental challenges and is particularly vulnerable to extreme weather. JapanBall wants to contribute to the solution rather than the problem.
To mitigate our tour’s environmental impact, a portion of the profits will go towards purchasing a carbon offset on behalf of each guest from Sustainable Travel International.
*Sample Itinerary (Includes Northern Pre Tour)
- Day 1: Northern Pre Tour guests arrive to Cibao International Airport in Santiago + Águilas Cibaeñas home game in Santiago.
- Day 2: Visit Bartolo Colon’s stadium + Santiago sightseeing + Gigantes del Cibao home game in San Francisco de Macoris.
- Day 3: Northern Pre Tour guests drive to Santo Domingo; Main Tour guests arrive to Santo Domingo (Las Américas International Airport); if you can’t arrive by 2:30 PM, I recommend arriving a day early to not miss the evening’s welcome meeting and dinner.
- Day 4: Visit amateur prospect baseball academy + Estrellas Orientales home game in San Pedro de Macoris
- Day 5: Visit youth program for equipment donation + historical baseball stadium tour + Tigres del Licey home game in Santo Domingo
- Day 6: Colonial Zone tour + Estrellas Orientales home game in San Pedro de Macoris
- Day 7: Hotel beach day + rum factory tour + group dinner
- Day 8: MLB official bank tour + MLB team academy tour + “the best ribs in the Caribbean” + Toros del Este home game in La Romana
- Day 9: MLB team academy visit + amateur prospect academy visit + Diego Colón palace tour + visit the Museum of the Dominican Ballplayer + Leones del Escogido home game in Santo Domingo
- Day 10: Departure from Santo Domingo (Las Américas International Airport)
*This itinerary, including games and daily activities, is subject to change.
- A guide to lead you through a detailed itinerary, giving a unique personal tour of the country.
- Boutique seaside accommodations, complete with a private beach.
- All in-country travel via private bus, including airport transfers to and from Santo Domingo (SDQ).
- Breakfast and at least one additional meal per day.
- Best available seats for 4-5 professional games.
- Tours of MLB team academies.
- Visits to amateur training programs that produce some of baseball’s best prospects.
- Visits with local baseball personalities.
- Additional cultural and baseball sightseeing.
- Scheduling flexibility. Want to come early or stay late? We can help you plan that.
- Translation and travel desk services.
- Carbon offset: In order to mitigate the tour’s environmental impact, we will use our profits to purchase a carbon offset from Sustainable Travel International on behalf of each guest.
Not included: Airfare and meals eaten at the ballpark.
TBD Double Occupancy
TBD Single Supplement
TBD Northern Add-On Tour – Double Occupancy
TBD Northern Add-On Tour – Single Supplement